Sampson And Sanchez Sign NBA Contracts

After not hearing their names mentioned in the NBA draft, former St. John’s basketball players JaKarr Sampson and Orlando Sanchez have finally signed professional contracts.

Former St. John’s standout JaKarr Sampson has finally found a home. Sampson tried out for 13 NBA teams before going undrafted in the 2014 NBA draft. Sampson’s agent, Seth Cohen, confirmed he has signed a partially guaranteed three-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers. Terms of the contract have not been released.

Sampson, an Ohio native, was a 6’8” combo forward and 2013 Big East Rookie of the Year. He averaged 12.8 points and 6.1 rebounds this past season. Sampson opted to declare for the NBA draft after his sophomore season.

Sampson’s offensive numbers and minutes declined after his freshman year, but he improved on the defensive side of the ball. However, many experts believed he should have stayed in school for one more year to improve.

Orlando Sanchez, the former six-man for the Johnnies, also found a home just down the road. Sanchez signed his contract with the New York Knicks, keeping the Dominican star in New York. Analysts believe he has a shot in making the roster. The contract has not been disclosed to the public.

Sanchez, a 6’9” combo forward, was a transfer player who played just one season with the Johnnies. He averaged 7.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 22.3 minutes in 32 games last season. Sanchez also plays for the Dominican national team.

The Dominican star brought a spark and toughness to the team; he was an offensive threat coming of the bench for Steve Lavin last year.