Spring Week: What You Need To Know

Spring Week, one of the marquee events presented by the University, will be taking place April 22-26.

Although there will be no spring concert this year, Campus Activities will be presenting a variety of other events, including Earthfest, a fashion networking event and the ever-popular Battle of the Voices.

The six main Spring Week events are detailed below. Get out there and enjoy the sunshine, Johnnies!

Unless otherwise noted, all details come from the St. John’s University website and Campus Activities.

Earthfest

Earthfest, which features a farmer’s market and a flea market with over 20 vendors, will be taking place on the Great Lawn from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Earth Day.

“Enjoy live entertainment, t-shirt tie dying, shopping and more, all while learning about the importance of conscious consumerism,” an event flyer says.

The second annual event will “advocate for St. John’s shoppers to become smart shoppers,” senior psychology major Brenna Beluk said. “Don’t forget to bring your old clothes to trade or donate to the thrift store!”

Beluk is the treasurer of Students for Global Justice, which is co-hosting the event along with Earth Club.

Kickoff

The Spring Week Kickoff will be on Wednesday, April 23 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It will feature field day games, including an obstacle course, tug-of-war and giant Jenga, along with a barbeque. Students can “win a limited edition Spring Week hat” by playing the games.

Beau Monde

In years past, a fashion show has headlined Spring Week. This year, Fashion Club will be hosting a fashion networking event known as Beau Monde instead.

The event will be hosted by Angela Simmons and SJU alumnus Kevin Thompson (’09 CPS). Project Runway designer Helen Castillo will be in attendance, along with Project Runway contestant DJ Tygerlily.

“Guests will be able to mix and mingle with fashion experts about how to make it in the industry, as well as enjoy the hottest styles and designers of the season,” a poster reads.

Beau Monde will be in Carnesecca Arena from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Thursday April 24. Student admission is $5 and reservations are required: email [email protected].

Alumni are welcome at this event.

Spring fling

Spring Fling, the annual carnival, will be taking place on the Great Lawn from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday. This event is free and features “food, fun, rides and more,” according to the website.

Battle of the Voices

Battle of the Voices, a singing competition, will be taking place on Friday night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.; the doors to Carnesecca Arena will open at 7 p.m.

The Resident Student Association announced on Twitter that the celebrity guest judges for this event will be Luke James and Melanie Fiona.

Students can vote for their favorite contestants on this “American Idol”-style contest, according to Campus Activities.

Campus Movie Fest

The last Spring Week event will be the Campus Movie Fest finale, which takes place in Marillac Auditorium on April 26 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

This event, which resembles a film festival, will feature videos made by St. John’s students.

“The best of the best short movies that were filmed by your classmates,” a flyer reads. “Come to show support and encouragement for their success and creativity.

The top 16 movies will advance to a regional Campus Movie Fest.