SGI recognizes more organizations

Every year, many organizations go through a vigorous process called “Power to Organize” in order to get recognized by Student Government Inc. (SGI).

On Nov. 30, 2016, 12 student organization were recognized by SGI.

Half of these organization are non-budgetary, which means that they’re an official club on campus but do not receive any monetary help from SGI.

The non-budgetary organizations this semester are: Together We Can, Korean Fan Dance Club, Feminists Unite, Student Society for Pediatric Pharmacy, Food for Thought and TEDx. These organizations generate their own budget by fundraising and other sources.

Organizations, such as UNICEF Campus Initiative, Physician Assistant Association, E.D.E.N., Global Medical Brigades, Industry Pharmacists Organization and Women on Wall Street, have access to SGI budgets.

The process itself was different amongst many organizations, such as the one for Feminists Unite. This was their second time applying for the recognition. The Torch covered their journey last semester.

“The process had three main parts to it: the application, presentation to the committee board, and the last presentation to the chairs,” Angela Gattuso, vice president of Food for Thought, said.

While some found it simple enough, others found it a bit more challenging.

“The process of having an organization on campus is not an easy task as it [may] seem,” Neelesh Rastogi, president of Tedx St. John’s University, said. “You are required to be the best of all to make it through.”

All these recognized organizations are ready to showcase themselves, with future events and collaboration planned for this semester and years to come.

“We plan to proceed forward with our group and get along with our general body members, so that we could start off with their training and work hard together in creating an amazing Ted-like experience for you all,” Rastogi said.

With the newly recognized organizations, students have an even wider range of extra-curriculars to get involved in.

The mission statement for all these organizations range from business related to social justice issues.

PHOTO/WOMEN ON WALL STREET
Catherine Felle, president of Women on Wall Street, said that their mission is to, “better prepare our members for the first day of her internship or career by providing technical training specific for women, establishing a professional network and empowering our women to pursue their personal and professional goals including senior leadership roles.”

Many of these organizations were already active on campus, such as UNICEF Campus Initiative, but were not able to benefit from an SGI budget.

Nhi Tong, president of UNICEF Campus Initiative, said that they are excited to move forward with a budget.

“Becoming a budgeted club has helped UNICEF to plan events with more creativity and ambition for a larger impact,” Tong said.

The 12 approved organizations plan on growing and collaborating with the St. John’s community, such as Food For Thought’s first event of the year on Valentine’s Day open-mic called “Dark Side of Love.”

Most of all, they strive for the success of their members and the people they serve in order to make a name for themselves campus-wide.

“I plan for this organization to grow,” Kevante Williams, president of Food for Thought, said. “Grow into a staple organization on campus. I want people to enjoy this organization and really create a home feeling for artists here who feel they don’t have one.”