Robert Mueller’s Investigation: Will it Change Anything?

On Oct. 30, news broke out that the Special Counsel Investigation of the Russian involvement in the 2016 election, led by Robert Mueller, had made its first charges in the investigation after having it approved by the federal grand jury.

Following the news, media outlets and the American public pondered over who the suspects could possibly be. From Paul Manafort, who turned out to be one of the accused, to minor players the theories were endless.

Unlike many people on Monday night, I had no clue on who the possible culprits are and I did not want to allow myself to care.

Ever since the fateful election night on November of 2016, I have been pretty hesitant and wary of everything and anything regarding American politics.

I had my hopes and expectations crushed after Hillary Clinton’s loss, thus making a silent vow to myself to not expect much from our current political climate. Which is why when the news came out on Monday regarding Mueller’s investigation I was not excited. Not even the following days when the names Paul Manafort, Rick Gates and George Papadopoulos were released to the public, confirming their illegal involvement in the campaign.

While the former FBI director’s investigation is incredibly important, I am finding it hard to believe that it will accomplish anything substantial. Perhaps it is because I am too focused on getting President Donald Trump out of office, rather than focusing on removing the symptoms that put him in office in the first place.

Those symptoms being Manafort, Gates and Papadopoulos. The three now disgraced politicians are just as guilty as Trump.

Papadopoulos, Trump’s former foreign policy advisor, acknowledged his culpability by pleading guilty to the courts for lying to the FBI regarding his connections to Russian government officials. Manafort and Gates, the former being Trump’s campaign chairman and the latter being his associate, were both indicted on charges that they laundered millions of dollars in profits through their foreign bank accounts, and that they secretly worked for pro-Russian groups in the Ukraine.

This information is clearly promising as it means the American public is closer to revealing just how much the Russian government inserted themselves into our politics. However, it is for this exact reason that virtually nothing will come out of it.

Time and time again, Trump has gotten himself out of sticky situations that past presidents could never imagine dealing with. He has been able to sit comfortably in the Oval Office for close to a year now, despite his sexist and offensive comments towards minorities, his lack of diplomacy and the simple fact that he is an insensitive, inhumane, person.

Manafort, Gates and Papadopoulos can sing the truth loud and clear in those court rooms about Trump’s campaign and just how involved he was in those illegal activities; however, if calling Mexicans rapists did not stop him and neither did telling the wife of a fallen soldier “he knew what he signed up for,” I’m not sure Robert Mueller’s investigation will.