Tennis Teams Start Off Strong In 2015

The St. John’s men’s tennis team has won their first two games of the year.  The Red Storm ranked no. 74 took on Georgetown and Wagner at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Friday, Feb. 10 and came away with two wins.  St. John’s defeated Georgetown 6-1 and Wagner 6-0. Freshman Elio Livi won his first two singles matches of the season in the No. 2 singles spot against Wagner and No. 3 singles spot against Georgetown.  Livi’s two wins put him 2-1 on the season in singles matches. The No. 26 ranked doubles duo of Lucas Hejhal and Vaidik Munshaw also won 6-3 in the No. 1 singles slot against Georgetown.

The women’s tennis team meanwhile continued their hot streak on Saturday night against Florida International University, clinching their fourth-consecutive win.  St. John’s stopped a late push by the Panthers and won the final two singles matches of the day to emerge victorious, 4-3, at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Freshman Irina Preotescu struck first for the Red Storm with a convincing 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 5 singles slot. Then after the Panthers won three straight singles matches, transfer Natalie Vavulina picked up a 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 victory at the No. 3 spot to set up freshman Zofia Stanisz for the clincher at the No. 5 slot.