Flames of the Torch: May the odds be ever in your favor

The new St. John’s banners on Union Turnpike can mean only one thing — school is back in session, and the campus is buzzing with the fresh optimism that a new academic year brings.

This year is an especially interesting time to be at St. John’s. The school is continuing its upward trajectory, with cosmetic renovations mirroring the rise in national rankings that St. John’s has made in the last few years. The University was listed at No. 151 in Forbes list of the top schools in the U.S. — its highest ranking ever.

As reported in the Torch, the University is also welcoming what is, as of now, its largest incoming first-year students class, with people from the south side of Jamaica to the southern tip of Texas about to embark on their first semester at St. John’s.

And of course, who can talk about the good things at St. John’s without mention the basketball programs, especially the men’s team. Steve Lavin has brought in his second straight stellar recruiting class, meaning that for the first time in a long time, incoming freshmen can look forward to four years of a competitive and, more importantly, relevant Red Storm looking to take on the titans of the Big East.

It’s also a great time to be a college student in general, with an election right around the corner. We at the Torch — whether we agree or disagree with their views — are looking forward to seeing the voter outreach and informational events that are sure to be held by organizations like College Democrats, College Republicans and Students for Life, among others.

Everything is not all lollipops and sunshine at St. John’s of course (anybody who’s been to Student Financial Services knows that), but it’s safe to say that it’s a better time to be a student here now than it was two or three years ago, when we, the editorial staff of the Torch, began our college careers. And we can say with a degree of confidence that the University will continue to improve in the next two to three years, and for the foreseeable future after that.

To freshmen and transfer students — welcome. To returning sophomores, juniors and seniors — welcome back. May there always be an ample supply of cake batter ice cream in Montgoris, and may the library printers never run out of ink five minutes before class begins.

People to know on campus:

Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M. — the President of the University (if you have a meeting with him, you probably did something good)

Jack Flynn — Director of Student Conduct (if you have a meeting with him, you probably did something bad)

Steve Lavin — Men’s basketball head coach (if you have a meeting with him, you probably are really tall)

Christian Williams – President of Student Goverment, Inc., which spends your activity fee (which is why you should pay attention to them).

Bill Brusca — St. John’s athletics super fan (we think he’s graduated, but we’re not quite sure. We are sure that he’ll be in the stands at almost any sporting event you can think of)

John and Liam Kenny — They look nothing alike, but people still can’t tell them apart. Chances are, you’re related to them.

Angela in Montgoris – It’s been awhile since most of us have set foot in the dining hall, but we still haven’t met anybody who makes better omelets. She’s an angel – be nice to her.

Barack Obama – The 44th President has been known to stop by Taffner Field House to shoot some hoops, when his schedule permits (which isn’t ever).