St. John’s NAACP chapter to hold demonstration

The St. John’s University chapter of the NAACP is hosting a “Die-In” demonstration on Thursday, Dec. 4. In honor of Michael Brown, the NAACP at SJU will host the silent protest in the D’Angelo Center at 1:50 p.m. during common hour.

The Die-In, more commonly referred to as a “lie-in,” is in conjunction with the protests happening in Ferguson after the grand jury’s decision not to indict police officer Darren Wilson.

People across the country have joined together in support of the Brown family and all social media platforms have been using the hashtags #BlackLivesMatter, #IMatter and #MikeBrown to voice opinions and share personal experiences with racial injustices within law enforcement.

In wake of the protests, President Obama called for action by the Justice Department. On Monday, Obama proposed a $263 million spending plan, which includes $75 million for mounted body cameras to be worn by police officers. The plan also calls for increased training for law enforcement.

“There is a big difference between our military and our local law enforcement and we don’t want those lines blurred,” Obama said on Monday.