Filed under Culture, Music

Tears and cheers at iHeartRadio

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tears and cheers at iHeartRadio

iHeartRadio.com

iHeartRadio.com

iHeartRadio.com

The two-day concert known as the iHeartRadio Music Festival took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas this past weekend. It was the musical playground for artists that varied from Justin Timberlake to Elton John to Miguel to the one and only, Paul McCartney.

The festival is set up like an award show with presenters giving artists classic introductions to their performances. But unlike an actual award show, instead of giving the artists enough time to perform one song, they’re given twenty minutes to give the crowd a memorable mini-concert experience.

Though all of the performers at the festival left the crowd wanting more, there were only a few artists that gave the audience a truly memorable experience. One of them was the undoubtedly talented Justin Timberlake and he gave the crowd the 20/20 Experience. J.T. debuted three songs that will be featured in his upcoming album “The 20/20 Experience (2 of 2)” that will be released in November. His performance set was filled with great vocals and new dance moves.

Timberlake even managed to interact with the audience making it that much more special.

Another crowd favorite at the festival was Miley Cyrus. The crowd welcomed her opening number “We Can’t Stop” by chanting her name. The crowd and the media were surprised by her emotional performance of “Wrecking Ball.” Cyrus’ mascara was running as she left the stage. Earlier that week, the announcement of her engagement with Liam Hemsworth ending was released.

Despite all the talent witnessed at the festival, it was the old school rockers that stole the show. It all started on Friday when Sir Elton John took the stage. He may not have a current hit on the charts, but he definitely owned it that night. He performed very well during his five-song set considering his recent surgery. He sang very loud and clear and it was obvious the crowd loved it after giving him a standing ovation after only his third song. He sang his timeless classics on his unique red piano like “Tiny Dancer” and “Bennie and the Jets.”

Another British icon took the stage that night accompanied by some very young talent, Queen and Adam Lambert. Though no one can compare to vocal genius Freddie Mercury, he was a phenomenal stand-in. Queen and Lambert serenaded the crowd with songs like “We Are the Champions” and “Who Wants to Live Forever.” FUN’s Nate Ruess later took the stage to sing their famous hit “Somebody to Love.” Between Nate Ruess and Adam Lambert, the crowd’s favorite was Lambert.

The festival saved the best for last with Sir Paul McCartney. The former Beatle serenaded the audience with new music from his upcoming album. He performed songs from his career with the Beatles. The Beatles set list included classics like “Magical Mystery Tour” and “Lady Madonna.” It was very clear that the crowd enjoyed Paul McCartney’s undeniable and timeless talent.