Hot on the charts

Music fans everywhere have not been disappointed with this month’s charts. October has definitely been a “Royal” month as breakout artist Lorde took the No. 1 spot on the Billboard charts for the seventh consecutive week. Katy Perry’s “Roar” beat out Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” for the number 2 spot, leaving the twerking star at number three on the Billboard Top 100 charts. According to Billboard, this is the longest amount of time women have dominated the charts since 1999.

These women have proved to be a force to be reckoned with, as 16-year-old Lorde is one of the youngest artists to have an international No. 1 hit in recent memory. The New Zealand songstress holds the title of being the female with longest-running single this year, and joins the likes of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” last summer.

Katy Perry’s album Prism has received high praises from critics all around, and sales have shot the album up to being No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100 Album charts.

Continuing on with her success from this summer’s hit “We Can’t Stop”, “Wrecking Ball” joins the aforementioned single in being Cyrus’ second 2-million-selling single this year.

Not to be upstaged, Avicii and Drake hold the No. 4 and No. 5 spots respectively, for four straight weeks.  Avicii’s “Wake Me Up!” has held the No. 1 spot on the Dance/Electronic charts for eight weeks, and Drake’s hit “Hold On, We’re Going Home” is No. 1 on the Rap/Hip-Hop Charts for its fifth week.

As we make toward the end of the year, many are thinking about what song could ultimately be the No. 1 song of the year. Robin Thicke and Pharrell’s monster hit “Blurred Lines” certainly sticks out to many, but Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop” certainly can’t be forgotten.

With both songs featured in the top ten for weeks on end and both selling 6 million copies this year alone respectively, not even counting “Thrift Shop’s” 2012 successes. “Blurred Lines” recently fell off the top 10 chart after being in the top ten for an unprecedented 21 weeks.

Thicke’s album also titled Blurred Lines has also reached the No. 1 spot for albums in both the US and the UK, making it a notable and incredible international success. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have three songs that have currently made it to the 2-million-selling copies charts, with their songs “Can’t Hold Us” and “Same Love.”

October was certainly a month for music and while we look ahead to the end of the year we are also looking back at the incredible year of music we’ve had. Which songs will go down in history as the best songs of 2013? We’ll find out soon enough.