An Easy Stepping Stone

Emma Stone is fast becoming a part of Hollywood’s new “it” girls, and she fully deserves the title.  

The funny woman has starred in box office hits The House Bunny, Superbad and Zombieland, and she is taking the step from hilarious supporting actress to leading lady in her new movie Easy A.

The Inferno recently got a chance to catch up with Stone via conference call and talk to her about her new role, future projects and much more.

The film is a story about a girl named Olive who lies about losing her virginity but when word spreads throughout her high school, she realizes that her life is not that different from Hester Prynne’s in The Scarlet Letter, which she is currently studying in school.

Unlike the protagonist in the classic novel, Olive decides to use the rumor mill to her advantage

When asked why she was drawn to this character, Stone replied: “It’s really rare to read a funny female character in a comedy. I like Olive’s perspective on things.”

Although Stone was home-schooled growing up, the two shared similarities in personality.

“We’re eerily similar in a lot of ways though. That’s probably why I connected with her so easily,” she said.

“She has a close relationship with her family and I definitely have the same.”

As Stone’s first time carrying a movie, the actress applied a lot of pressure on herself to give a convincing performance. 

“The size of the role didn’t matter I just wanted to make her seem alive.”

Stone said that being the lead made her focus more on what she was doing and helped her learn more about herself as an actress and increased her work ethic.

“I just wanted to do her justice because she was written so well on the page.” 

The Easy A star also discussed a possible sequel to the hit Zombieland. She did not confirm anything but liked the idea of a follow-up.

“I don’t know, we’ll have to see,” Stone said.

“We all loved making that movie and we’d love to continue the story, especially in 3D.”

Stone is keeping her agenda busy by also filming another movie alongside singer/actor Justin Timberlake called Friends With Benefits, which she called “a pretty fascinating experience.”

Overall, Stone is satisfied with her latest project, which hits theatres September 17 and knows audiences will enjoy it too.

“If you’re into horror you can see a horror flick or watch me fake sex. If you want to see a good comedy, then see Easy A.”