UIS meltdown holds off registration

A software glitch postponed registration for over 12 hours last week, but was corrected to ensure students would get their classes.

Around 7:40 p.m. on Mar. 30, Information Technology noticed “excessive activity” on UIS, according to Maura Woods, associate vice president of IT. Students who were registering at that time saw a message letting them know that the system was busy.

Woods said IT held off all other activity until after midnight, when no students were scheduled to start registering. The department began working with the University’s service vendor, Sungard. Though this was an uncommon problem, Woods said it was to be expected with any software provider.

Students who were scheduled to register Thursday were moved back to the exact same time the next day. Woods explained that the Registrar’s office did not have any students scheduled to register on Friday, so there was no further congestion. This was done to give extra time to those who may have missed their appointment due to the congestion.

Woods said that IT treated the matter as if the system was completely down in order to catch any problems. By 10:30 a.m. Thursday Woods said the system was running again but with some limitations. She said the system was running at full capacity as of April 1.

Woods said her goal was “getting the solution fixed as fast as possible and impact students as least as possible.”

According to Woods, Sungard contacted the University later on to inform them that other schools had experienced the same problem. Sungard told Woods that the issue was rooted in the feature that allows students to look up courses while they are registering.

Woods also said that the Registrar office, exercised all means of communications to let students know that the University was working to make sure the issue was taken care of. She said the department worked to get emails out and used social media sites including the University’s Twitter page, STJnow.

The registration mainly affected juniors who were registering for their senior year, according to woods.

Caitlin Conklin was registering for the fall when she encountered the error.

“I was supposed to register Wednesday at 8 p.m. and didn’t get on until 10:45 a.m. Thursday,” Conklin said.

Conklin said that she did not miss out on any classes, though many students believed that they would.

“Luckily cause I was one of the first people to register,” she said, “but I lost time refreshing the page every ten minutes until I went to bed and again when I woke up for my 7:30 a.m. class cause I didn’t want to get locked out of a class.”