Torch Photo / Abigail Grieco
Surviving Senioritis as a Second-Semester Senior

GIllibrand back to DC

Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand cruised to reelection to New York’s national Senate seat, defeating Republican challenger Wendy Long in a landslide.

“I can’t thank you enough for the honor and privilege of continuing to serve this state and to fight for New York families in the United States Senate,” Gillibrand said in her victory speech at the Sheraton Hotel in Manhattan.

Gillibrand, a former member of the United States House of Representatives, was appointed to the vacant Hilary Clinton Senate Seat in 2009. She ran for special election just two years later, wining by a landslide.

This year Gillibrand ran for reelection for a six-year term for the first time, and to no surprise easily claimed the Senate seat for New York once again.

Senator Gillibrand ran her reelection campaign on the idea of improving life for the middle class and working families across New York, according to her campaign website.

Gillibrand is known for her support of same-sex marriage, equal pay for women, creating a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants as a co-sponsor of the DREAM Act, and being a supporter of Obamacare.