College Republicans: Abortion Rights

During the Republican National Convention every four years, the delegates of the party from each state vote on the party’s platform for the issues. This platform outlines the party’s stance on all the issues. These include taxes, foreign policy, same sex marriage and many other issues. Abortion is one of those issues that are included in the platform which is voted on by the delegates. During this year’s Republican National Convention, the party voted and approved the 2012 GOP Platform. In regards to abortion, it says,

“Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life.”

This means that the party platform of the Republican Party is that human life is sacred and that all life, born and unborn, have the fundamental right to life. This is the platform and stance for the Republican Party and its presidential candidate Governor Mitt Romney.

Not all people agree on abortion. Even within the same party, people don’t agree on abortion. This is a very heated debate in society as this issue plays a part in the rights of a person and the rights of a life. Generally Republicans are pro-life, though many would disagree with the party. However, the official party platform takes a firm stance on the issue and that is the official view of the party.

The GOP supports an amendment to the US Constitution regarding abortion. They support an amendment called a ‘human life amendment’. This would be an amendment added to the Constitution that would prohibit abortions and protect all human life. The party also endorses legislation to make clear and clarify that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.

Romney, our nominee, is pro-life. He has taken criticism from many calling him a “flip-flopper” on abortion. Democrats claim he was pro-choice then became pro-life to run for president as a Republican. They call him a flip-flopper as in he goes back and forth on his beliefs. In reality, Mitt Romney is and has always been pro-life.

He is a Mormon which is a religion, like Catholicism, that believes in the sanctity of life and that it should be protected. When he was the governor of Massachusetts, there was sentiment in the people and in the Democrat controlled government to allow abortion. However, when he was Governor, he always governed pro-life. He governed to protect life and to protect its sacredness. He is still pro-life now as he runs for president. His running mate, US Congressman Paul Ryan from Wisconsin, is also unapologetically pro-life.

Abortion is a huge issue in elections today. Many people decide who they will vote for based on what their views are on abortion. Republicans are pro-life.