Ways to Say Thank You

As we celebrate the holiday season, it is important that we do not forget those who are serving this great nation. Our military and other members of the United States Armed Forces, risk their lives to ensure that we can celebrate this holiday in peace

They risk their lives every day and we should not take their sacrifice for granted. When my Uncle Johnny was deployed, my mom and I used to send him care packages just to tell him that we loved him and to send him a little reminder of home. We loved sending him these packages because we knew that he appreciated them and it was just a small way to say “thank you.”

Expressing love and gratitude to our troops is important, because it makes them feel as if they have a support system here at home.

Here are a few ways you can express your support for a troop this holiday season:

• Military Care Package: A military care package is a great way to express your gratitude for a service member. Because most service members are overseas, they might not have access to a lot of their favorite items like they do back home. Sending them a care package could brighten their day and remind them that they have people back home who appreciate everything they do. The United States Postal Service offers a free “Military Kit”, including boxes, packing tape and the necessary forms for sending boxes overseas! Just give them a call at 1-800-610-8734 or go on their website (www.usps.com).

In these packages, it would be a good idea to give non-perishable items like soap, batteries or other packaged candies and snacks that they might only receive at home. Another good idea would be luxury beauty items like face masks or essential oils for relaxation.

However, it is always important to add a personalized card. Items and gifts are great, but words of encouragement and gratitude are so important when a person is away from their friends and family.

The American Red Cross also a service called, “Holidays for Heroes.” Holidays for Heroes delivers cards of support and gratitude to service members, veterans and their families. In this year’s program, cards will be delivered from the local communities to veterans, military facilities, hospitals and families.

For more information, you can visit these websites: htthttp://www.redcross.org/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/holidays-for-heroes and http://www.military.com/discounts/7-affordable-ideas-for-military-care-packages.html

• Another good idea is to host a military family for the holidays. Invite a military family, in your neighborhood or local area, over for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Not only will this show support for the sacrifice that they are giving as well, it will also distract from the fact that they have to endure the holidays without their loved one.