Pasciolla, Russell named to All-Big East teams

Two members of the St. John’s women’s soccer team were honored last Thursday at the annual Big East Awards dinner, where senior midfielder Nicola Pasciolla and junior goalkeeper Kristin Russell were named to the conference’s All-Big East teams.

Pasciolla made an all-conference team for the fourth time in her career, earning a spot on the All-Big East Second Team. Russell was named to the All-Big East Third Team after earning two Big East Honor Roll mentions during the regular season. Together, they helped anchor a Red Storm defense that posted seven shutouts during the regular season.

Pasciolla, a Ridge Park, N.J. native, had been a major component of the women’s soccer team’s midfield throughout her career, starting 77 of the 78 games she appeared in.

She was  also a 2009 CoSIDA ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District First Team nominee in addition to being a 2008 NSCAA/adidas Scholar All-East Region selection. As a rookie, she was named to the Freshman All-America Fourth team.

Russell has posted 27 shutouts in her St. John’s career and has made 253 total saves. She set a program record for career shutouts late last season and holds a career record of 26-21-8.

A James Madison University/Comfort Inn Invitational All-Tournament selection back in Sept., Russell was an All-Big East Honorable Mention selectee following her freshman campaign in 2008.

Notre Dame’s Melissa Henderson was named Big East Player of the Year, while a pair of Marquette Golden Eagles, Kerry McBride and Natalie Kulla, won  Defensive Player of the Year award and Goalkeeper of the Year, respectively. Rookie of the Year went to Louisville’s Christine Exeter.