Losing Skid Continues

The women’s soccer team is still struggling to protect its house.

The Red Storm suffered their second straight 3-0 defeat at Belson Stadium, this time to Brown on Friday to continue a rough start to the season.

While the Red Storm (2-3-0) have had a rough start to the season, their season goals have not changed.

“For the season, our goal is to continue to see development. We have all the pieces in place now for a highly successful season; it’s just a question of putting it all together,” said St. John’s head coach Ian Stone.

The Johnnies recorded a season-high eight shots. — one of which came in the 20th minute when junior Morgan Ritter banged a shot off the crossbar on a breakaway.

Things only got worse for the Red Storm after Ritter’s miss when Louisa Pitney opened the scoring for Brown (2-0) in the 23rd minute after a turnover by the St. John’s defense. Just two minutes later, Chole Cross would net another goal for the

Bears to put them ahead 2-0 going into halftime.

The beginning of the second half saw senior goalkeeper Meredith Kenyon come on to replace freshman Ellen Conway.

Despite the keeper change, the Johnnies were not able to change their luck on offense. They came out firing as they had the
first four shots of the half, but much like the first half, the Brown goalkeeping was stellar.

With the game clock dwindling down and the Red Storm still trailing by two goals, the Johnnies began send more players forward, leaving them susceptible in the back. But with so much focus on offense, St. John’s conceded another goal in the 87th minute, making it 3-0 Brown.

While the results lately have been far from enjoyable lately, Stone remains confident in his team.

“As a team, we are getting together really well. There has been a lot of learning and a lot of growth over the past two years and I am ready to reap the benefits of it.”

Things will only get easier for Stone as he welcomed back two injury plagued midfielders in Amy Marron and Deanna Murino.

Also, All-Big East Selection junior Jamie Marron was able to play the full 90 minutes in her return from injury, while also recording four shots.

The Johnnies next chance to break their losing streak comes when they travel to the Bronx to play Fordham on Friday.