Do You Know…Katy Pfaffl?

A unique, melodic guitarist and vocalist, Katy Pfaffl is making her name known in the New York City local singer/songwriter scene.

Pfaffl, born and raised in Milwaukee, Wis., began her musical life at the age of five when she began studying the violin. At the age of 12 she began playing the piano and, within a year’s time, she began competing throughout the Midwest as a classical pianist.

Her musical journey continued into college. Pfaffl attended the University of Cincinnati’s College of Conservatory of Music for two years and then moved to New York to begin making the life long dream of becoming a professional performer come true.

Though at times it was rough, Pfaffl has made a name for herself as a well-respected therapeutic voice teacher and vocal coach. During this time, she taught herself to play the guitar and then proceeded to launch herself into the local music scene.

To accompany her vocals and guitar rifts, Pfaffl recruited close friends, pianist Scott Chasolen and bassist Justin Wallace, as well as her oldest friends’ drummer Sean Dixon and guitarist Scott Sharrard. Then, with the addition of percussionist Sebastian Guerrero and backing vocalist Tiffany May, the Katy Pfaffl Band was formed.

A little over a year ago, the Katy Pfaffl Band got together and recorded its first self titled album. It is a 12 song CD of stories of life and emotions. With each song, Pfaffl pours her whole soul into the lyrics. Her music and vocals have a very earthy, jazzy feel.

Songs like “My Favorite Place,” “Will You Remember” and “Disconnected” tell stories of new love, life and heartbreak. Her songs contain a strong percussion and guitar lead but fall ever so slightly soft with the addition of a violin. Then, out of nowhere, is the upbeat “Walk Away” that bluntly tells you that “you’ll be missing what you had as soon as it leaves you behind.”

It’s a CD that makes one remember those great memories of life and love. The melodies are peaceful and relaxing. Her voice is tranquil and her range is amazing. Some might call it yodeling, some might call it harmonizing, but no matter what it is, when she starts there is no way to stop her.

In March of 2002, Pfaffl along with Guerrero and Dixon performed at St. John’s for Women’s History Month to a great crowd. That event sparked the idea to go and perform at other colleges in the area. Later this month she’ll be heading up to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Though the Katy Pfaffl Band hasn’t performed as a whole in quite sometime, Pfaffl has been working diligently on new material. Pfaffl said at a recent show that she’d be recording a new EP by the start of the new year. It will be a live recording and will feature the Katy Pfaffl Trio (Pfaffl, Dixon and Wallace), as well as some guest performances on a few songs.

Pfaffl performs regularly at such places in New York City as The Bitter End on Bleecker Street and The Living Room on Stanton Street.

For more information, check out www.katypfaffl.com.