Women’s Basketball: Players to Watch

Angel Tate
Sophomore Forward

Angel Tate enters her sophomore year with an opportunity to shine. Despite limited playing time as a freshman, Tate contributed with athletic performances and coach Barnes Arico noticed. An adept offensive player, she’s taken steps to improve her rebounding and defense, developing as a more complete player. With her improvements, and the mounting injuries plaguing the Storm, Tate is in position to showcase her new skills.

Monique McLean
Sophomore Guard

The sixth man as a freshman, Monique McLean provided a spark off the bench, playing in all 30 games during the Storm’s 2005-06 campaign. Last year she averaged 7.0 points and 2.5 rebounds a game and scored 17 against Pittsburgh. Coach Barnes Arico called McLean the team’s X-factor, and after gaining experience last year, she will be integral to the makeup of the season. She is coming off a preseason knee injury and is poised to have a breakthrough season once recovered.

Tiina Sten
Junior Forward

Junior forward Tiina Sten played in all 30 games last season. The Finnish forward averaged 14.3 minutes per game, 4.1 points and 2.1 rebounds. Sten also had a career-high 11 points last season in a Red Storm victory against Northwestern. According to coach Barnes Arico, Sten was confident, strong and physical during the NCAA Tournament, showing her full potential. She believes that for the Red Storm to get back to where they were, Sten must be a key element.

Angela Clark
Senior Forward

Last season, senior forward Angela Clark appeared in all 30 games, starting 29, and earned first team All-Big East honors. She averaged 13.8 points per game, ranking second on the team and 12th in the conference. This helped Clark earn her 1,000th-career point, allowing her to enter the 2006-07 season ranked 10th all-time at St. John’s with 1,119 points. The Storm will miss her contributions dearly as she is out for an indefinite amount of team for personal reasons.