Regrettably unforgettable

Trade” is no doubt an unforgettable movie, especially for a parent. It tells the story of a young teenage Mexican girl who is taken by Russians to be sold as a sex slave. Her brother runs to her rescue and befriends a crooked Texas cop on the way.

The movie follows the relationships of 17-year-old Jorge (Cesar Ramos) and the cop Ray (Kevin Kline). It also looks into the forced relationship between 13-year-old Adriana (Paulina Gaitan) and a Polish woman named Veronica (Alicja Bachleda-Curus), who travel together in the back of a van to New Jersey.
The movie is loosely based on a 2004 New York Times Magazine story, by Peter Landseman, about Mexican teenage girls who were kidnapped into human trafficking in New Jersey.
“Trade”‘s director Marco Kreuzpaintner works hard to make the movie sensational, and the sensitive subject of human trafficking does not need it. It tends to take away from the true essence of exposing the child slave trade.

The movie does its job of keeping the audience on edge, but it borders on overkill. It is also disturbing to see how the children and teens are taken and dolled up for perverted American men. They are raped and beaten, enough to make anyone cringe.

Kreuzpainter seems to be keeping up with many Hollywood trends, entering into the disturbing category with “Hostel,” but it is shocking without the gore. This movie is another beat-the-clock movie like “Pursuit of Happyness” or “Speed,” but it is not worth adding to the DVD collection. The director, however, definitely did a good job with casting, since every character delivered like they were expected.