Softball has disappointing start at Tiger Classic

Although the St. John’s softball team came up short at the Tiger Classic this past weekend in Louisiana, there were signs of production. Catcher Brandy Reyes ended the trip with a .333 batting average to go along with three runs scored and one RBI. Senior Lisa Geer also hit .300 and hit her first home run of the season.

Reyes said that the inexperience of the players and nerves were a factor, but is sure that they can handle
the pressure.

“They need not to be nervous, it’s our first weekend out,” Reyes said. “They have what it takes to get the job done. We got to stay confident.”

it came close to tasting victory in a battle against Nicholls State on Sunday, but in the end, St. John’s fell to the Colonels 8-6.

Starting Pitcher Chelsea Plimpton was charged for only two of those runs in the game and went the distance. Rookie Kacee Cox hit a solo shot in the seventh, the first of her collegiate career, to pull them within two. Cox said that she didn’t expect to hit one out of the park so early in the season.

“I thought I would get one after a few tournaments,” she said. “I was overwhelmed with excitement.”

In an earlier game with Ball State, Cox hit a RBI double and then scored on a wild pitch to give St. John’s an early two-run lead in the first. But the pitching melted down in the third as the Red Storm gave up 10 runs on eight walks and a hit-by-pitch. When asked what contributed to their play, pitcher Linzee Sumrall agreed with her fellow teammate that first-time jitters got the best of the team and is looking towards the future. “We have to get out the nerves,” she said. “We’re looking forward to playing next weekend.”

On Saturday, St. John’s came up short against Chattanooga 11-5. Chattanooga posted eight runs in the first inning, giving the Red Storm the difficult task of
coming back.

In the forth inning, St. John’s showed signs of life as the Geer homer put them on the board. Shortstop Danielle Estrada kept the momentum going as she hit a double to left center field to bring Bionka King home. They finished the inning with four runs.

In the second game of the doubleheader, St. John’s was blanked by No. 8 Louisana State 14-0. They only managed one hit in the entire game. Both games were interrupted by rain delays.

The Red Storm will travel to Santa Barbara, Calif. for the UC Tournament.