Red Storm offense clawed by the Tigers

Just two shots on goal proved to be not enough for the St. John’s women’s soccer team as they were defeated Sunday afternoon, 2-1 by the Princeton Tigers .
The Red Storm (3-1) suffered its first loss of the season after three consecutive
victories.

“It was a pretty even game that could have gone either way,” head coach Ian Stone said. “We have the type of team where I’ll be disappointed in any loss.”

Each goalkeeper was contested only once during the half, as each team’s defense withstood the other to keep the game scoreless. Sophomore forward Jen Leaverton recorded the only shot on goal of the period for the Johnnies, but was saved by Princeton goalkeeper Alyssa Pont.

Just 10 minutes in, Tigers senior Vicki Anagnostopoulos was the first to put her team on the scoreboard. The Johnnies’ senior defender Courtney Curby would score the team’s lone goal in the 64th minute of play.

“It was really important for us to get momentum back,” Curby said.

The tying shot was assisted off of a corner kick from junior Raelynne Lee, her second of the season.

Several failed shots in the second half by the Red Storm included an attempt from senior midfielder C.J. Ludemann in the 76th minute left the Storm short of a victory.

Princeton’s persistent play in the late
minutes of the game led to a near goal by
Caitlin Blosser in the 78th minute, and the game winner seconds later by Alissa Boddie.

Goalie Kristin Russell has recorded 12 saves on the season, including three against Princeton. Before the loss, she had only allowed one goal in her three starts in the net.

The loss comes a week after the Johnnies had received their first ever ranking in the NSCAA poll.

The Johnnies were also without their leading scorer, senior Vaila Barsley for the second consecutive game this season. Barsley suffered a sprained ankle against Cal State Fullerton Aug 28 and did not play in the Red Storm’s home opener against New
Hampshire.

Coach Stone thinks Barsley will return
next week.