Mascot to Rappel from 470 ft. Building

unknown

Johnny Thunderbird is getting set to rappel down the side of a 470-foot skyscraper in Jersey City, NJ, this Friday and the man in the suit will be Clint Wolfrom, a junior.

Johnny will be taking part in the event , known as Over the Edge, live on the “Today Show” alongside celebrities such as Sarah Haines of the “Today Show”, Tina Cervasio from the MSG Network, Greg T. from the Elvis Duran Morning Show on Z100, FDNY Commissioner Salvatore J. Cassano as well as 130 others, according to a press release from the Athletics department.

“I’m more excited about the jumping down 34 stories aspect of the event than the celebrities,” Wolfrom said.

The event will benefit the American Cancer Society and is set to take place at the Harborside Financial Plaza Building, right across the Hudson River from Manhattan.

The event has raised $225,000 so far for the society.

“It’s great to be able to help raise awareness for cancer research,” Wolfrom said. “St. John’s has all these great events like ‘Dribble for the Cure’ and ‘Relay for Life’ and it’s nice to get to go support another cause.”

Wolfrom said he has yet to receive any formal training for the event, in particular regarding safety.  He stressed, however, that with the event not taking place until Friday he would get a heads up about what to do before hand.

“From what I’ve heard, it’s more like I’m going to be lowered down on a rope than actually jumping down the side of the building,” he said.

Naturally, for anybody being lowered through the air from a 34-story building, things can get a bit scary, especially if you’re afraid of heights. Is this bird afraid of the task?

“No, but I’ve done rock climbing a lot,” he said. “I can be afraid of heights at times.  But for this, I’m totally stoked.”

Wolfrom first became Johnny in the beginning of the 2011/2012 school year as a sophomore and currently handles the role with one other student.  They take turns cheering on the Red Storm for different events.

“They first brought this event up to me in early September,” he said. “I wasn’t sure if it was going to conflict with my schedule, but then I thought, ‘Wait. I’m totally going to do this and get to jump down that building. With Friday rapidly approaching and Clint getting excited for the experience, he wants to make sure everybody gets out to St. John’s events and experiences the enthusiasm he has for his job.

“I am the most passionate, most go-getter Johnny ever,” he said.

$0
$500