Johnnies shut out Nittany Lions

Diana Colapietro
The Red Storm celebrate Casey Osborne’s goal.

The then No. 23/17 St. John’s men’s soccer team managed to put a thrilling double overtime victory against then No. 5/9 Akron Friday behind them to beat Penn State 1-0 Sunday night at Belson Stadium.

“We were pretty high after we beat Akron,” junior defender Tim Parker said. “It’s always a plus beating a team like that, but we knew that we needed to refocus Saturday and come right back at it.”

The difference for the Red Storm (3-1) Sunday was defender Casey Osborne. The junior college transfer fired home from close range in the 43 minute after a scuffle in the box. It was his first goal as a St. John’s player.

“Coach (Masur) is always hassling, ‘bodies in the box, get in your spot,’” Osborne said. “I was just lucky to be in that right spot at the right time.”

The goal came after a half of missed chances for the Johnnies.

Senior Jimmy Mulligan nearly opened the scoring two minutes into the game after intercepting a sloppy Penn State (2-2) pass, but he failed to find the target in a 1v1 spot with the keeper.

Danny Bedoya came closest to scoring in the 40 minute when he slipped past a defender in the box and fired near post with his left foot, only for his shot to hit both posts before the keeper pounced on the ball.

It seemed like the Red Storm were going to head into halftime in a scoreless draw before Osborne found the back of the net.

“It was great for the guys going in [to halftime],” Osborne said. “Now you have the advantage and energy up coming into the second half.”

The home crowd didn’t get to celebrate an insurance goal during the second 45 minutes, but the Johnnies did manage to record its first shutout of the young season.

“We need a lot more [shutouts],” Parker said. “This is our fourth game of the season and our first clean sheet. It’s good to get it on Belson and we’re looking forward to two more next weekend.”

The Red Storm will look to record their third straight victory Friday when South Carolina comes to town.