Students Share Thanksgiving Traditions

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade takes place every year on Manhattan’s Upper West Side.

It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only eight days away – SJU students are all anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving break, but every student has their own special way of celebrating, from food to unique traditions. Whether you are staying on campus or going home, here are some ways students plan to celebrate Thanksgiving and some of their holiday favorites. 

Food is at the center of Thanksgiving traditions, but everyone’s favorite dish is different. Jarlyn Rodriguez, a psychology major, told the Torch about her favorites. “[My] favorite food would definitely have to be the mac and cheese or mashed potatoes,” while Lucyna Davis, a fashion studies major, also said her favorite was mac and cheese, but also collard greens. Thanksgiving foods can be seen as traditional or nontraditional based on the student. While students come from a variety of backgrounds,  common ground can be found in something as simple as the food eaten on Thanksgiving. But where are students traveling to? 

Davis is heading home to Laurel, Maryland.  “I usually spend Thanksgiving with my dad’s side of the family and the night with my mum. I have a pretty big family from my dad’s side so people are always filtering in and out of the house,” she said. Hailey Pomara, a public relations major, will be heading home to Center Moriches, Long Island where she will “bake cheesecake, brownies and pecan pie” with her family. 

As far as how students plan to celebrate, Rodriguez is excited to host Thanksgiving at her home this year. “I usually celebrate it by going to my aunt’s house and going to my other aunts house as well from both sides of the family…This year for the first time we are actually spending it at my house and cooking a big meal for the family.” While Pomara begins her celebration “the night before Thanksgiving” where her and her family will “all prepare food together,” she will continue her celebration the night of Thanksgiving where her “mom and [herself will] go midnight shopping for Black Friday.” 

No matter how big or small the occasion is, most students celebrate with a dinner full of food and family. However, football has also become a popular sport to watch during Thanksgiving, or even play. Pomera says, “On the morning of Thanksgiving, my dad always plays football with his friends.” But every year, you can count on the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions playing their traditional Thanksgiving day game. 

Due to the popularity of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, it is not surprising to hear that many students watch the special as a part of their Thanksgiving tradition. Pomera says, “We watch the Macy’s Parade together and eat together as a family.” However, if you’re a student who is planning to spend the holiday on campus, consider going to watch the parade. It will begin at 9 AM at the corner of 77th Street and Central Park West. If you want to watch from home, you can tune in on NBC. 

No matter how you plan to celebrate Thanksgiving, remember to think of everything you are thankful for over this past year as 2019 comes to a close.