SJU Students Defy Downpour to Secure 2023 Tip-Off Tickets

Students wait in rainy conditions Friday to secure tickets to the event.
Carnesecca Arena’s Red Storm Tip-Off line at 9:41 a.m.

Students lined Carnesecca Arena’s box office in the rain on Oct. 20 to get tickets for Red Storm’s 2023 Tip-Off event. The event marks the start of the basketball season, complete with a performance by Grammy-award-winning artist 2 Chainz

The event historically features performances by the University’s cheer and dance teams, basketball player introductions, scrimmages and a musical performance. 

Red Storm Sports sent students an email Wednesday, giving students ticketing information. According to the email, ticket sales began at 9 a.m. with tickets being free for all St. John’s students. Students who purchased the student season ticket package can skip the line and receive priority seating. Students who waited in line received a physical ticket required for entry at this year’s event. Only student season-ticket holders can use a digital ticket for entry. 

The student season ticket package runs for $132 dollars and includes entry to all St. John’s Men’s Basketball games, including those played in Madison Square Garden, UBS Arena and Barclays Center. Season tickets went on sale Aug. 25, with the first 800 students receiving guaranteed seating for all three venues, according to an email sent to all students. 

The Torch spoke to students about their experiences waiting in line. 

@sju_torch The Torch spoke to St. John’s students about this year’s Red Storm Tip-Off event! See what they had to say.? #thetorch #stjohnsuniversity #2chainz #redstorm ♬ time travel – chief. & nobuddy

Sophomore Catherine Pascal waited in line for 30 minutes and felt that waiting in line was “not worth it” due to the rain. 

Sophomore Santiago Corralvarela called the experience “fast and easy” and found it accessible for students to get their tickets. For sophomore Jesus Medrano, the weather contributed to the lack of a line, but felt it was “pretty easy” to get his ticket. 

Juniors Joseph Villar, Sara Kirkman and Hailey Robinson were pleased with this year’s ticketing process. Last year saw low line attendance in the event headlined by Los Angeles artist Blxst. 

“My first Tip-Off process was really long,” Villar said, referring to 2021’s Tip-Off — the first post COVID-19 event headlined by New York City rapper Fivio Foreign. He told The Torch that in past years he’d seen people waiting in line at 7 a.m. “Now it’s much easier.”

“I’m not sure if people are getting bored with Tip-Off, because last year no one really knew the artist,” he continued. “I don’t think people have the urge to go anymore, I know a lot of my friends aren’t going.”

Kirkman and Robinson are excited to see St. John’s Men’s Basketball head coach Rick Pitino and the rest of the team. 

Juniors Jennifer Obiesie and Harsha Mattapally found the process easier than in years past. “In my freshman year, the line went all the way down [by Belson Stadium],” Obiesie said. “Last year, I came in the afternoon, so there was no line.” 

Doors open for students at 6 p.m.