Women’s Basketball Team Downs Baltimore Foes

At Alumni Hall Tuesday night, the Red Storm bounced back from its encouraging loss to Old Dominion by annihilating the University of Maryland Baltimore County 61-45.

The Red Storm played strong defense throughout the entire game, forcing 25 turnovers, and never being seriously threatened by one of the weaker teams in the Northeast Conference.

The Red Storm (4-3, 0-0) out raced the overmatched Retrivers to every loose ball and converted turnovers into lay-ups. At the half, SJU’s lead was 40-20, making the second half extensive garbage time.

With four and a half minutes remaining, SJU held a 58-30 lead, allowing Head Coach Darcel Estep to let super subs Eukeisha Iton, Angela Stith, and Kenyawnam Hudgens close out the game. Myles was dominant for SJU, leading everybody with 17 points, 14 rebounds and 3 blocks. Her play pleased Estep.

“Tynisha has to be the go to force for us. Looking at her stats, shows you the things she can do and the things she’s going to have to do for us to be successful in the Big East Conference,” said Estep.

Along with Myles’ play, Estep was pleased with the team’s overall effort, espically her reserves. “You never know when you’re going to need your reserves. For them to come out tonight and get a chance to play, the biggest goal was for them to start executing,” Estep said.

The entire game was played at a frantic pace, allowing the Red Storm’s superior depth to overwhelm UMBC and let Estep substitute freely. However, UMBC was given the benefit of dubious calls by the crew of refs the entire night.

This was a game that SJU could have easily overlooked, placed between important matchups against ODU and Buffalo (Sunday, 2p.m. at Alumni Hall ). The way her team bounced back pleased the Estep.

“It’s always a motivational thing that we can use to get ready for Buffalo. The tough loss to ODU is something for us to get back on the winning end of things and to get ready for another challenge,” claimed Estep.

Mission accomplished.

Game Notes:

This was the first every meeting between SJU and UMBC, who finished at 7-21 last season. Giani Bowles played 19 minutes, scoring 2 points in her march back from reconstructive knee surgery to a torn ACL of the left knee. UMBC point guard, Jessie Brown, threw a Jason Williams-esque behind the back pass that brought cheers from the partisan crowd.