A thriller for the sophisticated viewer

“The Constant Gardener,” one of the most anticipated films of the year, started off with a mediocre bang. It opened in third place in the box office and scored three out of five stars. These standings do not give it nearly enough credit.

The movie, based on the novel by John Le Carre, directed by Fernando Meirelles (City of God) and starring Ralph Fiennes, is a compelling thriller that bases itself around an incredible love story.

Justin Quayle (Fiennes) is a British diplomat who puts his quiet demeanor aside when the love of his life, Tessa (Rachel Weisz), is murdered after she begins to uncover a plot between the British government and a pharmaceutical company.

After Tessa’s death, Justin tries to finish where she left off, giving viewers a sense of reality that places them in the center of poverty stricken Africa.

Throughout the film, Justin meets a series of roadblocks with a mixture of sentimental flashbacks of his and Tessa’s life before her murder that leaves the audience gripping the armrests. These really allow you to get a true sense of the intense love the two characters shared. This movie is filled with so much passion you will walk out of the theater ready to change the world.

“The Constant Gardener” is filled with pure emotion and, from the opening scene, will have you encompassed in thought. It may not be right for a quiet night at the movies, but if you are seeking a real thrill or something thought provoking and mind boggling, this is a movie you should see.

The performances by this cast will blow you away. The chemistry between Fiennes and Weisz is unmistakable. Not only are the starring roles flawless but the co-stars also pull you into the plot. You find yourself experiencing a different emotion with each scene. The film moves quickly, but it is slow enough to follow; its pace leaves the audience intrigued.

The end of the film may come as a disappointment to some, but it gives off a sense of truth and reality. The film is so well done you will have to sit through the credits to compose yourself.

It will stay in your mind for weeks to come. As beautiful as the love story is, there is a sense of horror in it that will haunt your heart.