Red Storm defeats Marist in blowout

In one night, team captain Georgios Spanos tripled his career goals total. He scored two goals in Monday’s non-conference 4-0 victory against Marist.

The senior defender admitted to having fun being up front but knows that it’s not his usual role.

“[It was] a little added bonus,” he said. “I’m happy but I just want to do those things that help the team win.”

His first goal came in only the third minute, a lift for St. John’s after a tough 2-1 loss to Virginia Tech earlier in the week.

“It was really important,” said goalkeeper Jason Landers. “The longer it goes scoreless, the more they believe they have a chance to win.”

Freshman Ryan Soroka and sophomore Jara Habib contributed two more goals.

Soroka was particularly impressive in his second game at Belson Stadium. He was involved in almost every play, setting up shots by drawing fouls, picking up assists, and even heading a ball to himself to set up for a goal.

He described the game as a “huge regrouping” after their loss. He was satisfied with having a big first half that wrapped the game up by the time the second half came around.

“It’s always nice when you can do that,” Soroka said.

After their first-half offensive explosion, coach Dave Masur had an opportunity to use players off the bench and rest his starters.

“The more [each player] can add, the better we’ll be,” Spanos said.

Before being taken out after the first half, Landers made one good save. He jumped and pushed the ball just over the net.
It was one of his few chances of the game, though, as St. John’s dominated the game.

They outshot the Red Foxes 26 to five and had six corner kicks compared to one.

Despite the big win, the team is already looking forward.
“We’ve got a tough road weekend coming up,” Masur said.