The Killers Keep New Wave Alive

The new disc from the Las Vegas, 80’s inspired rock band, The Killers, is as glittery as the bands hometown and catchy as ever. It may leave you wondering if you just listened to the same song for almost an hour without even noticing. Sam’s Town, released on Oct. 3, is the second major label album released from these popular radio favorites. It is the follow up to the 2004 radio hit, Hot Fuss.

Kicking off the album is the title track, “Sam’s Town.” The New Wave style is carried out by the ever static keyboard synthesizers that have become a signature of the band’s sound. “When You Were Young,” the first single, has a more mature sound, showing that “New” New Wave may have a permanent place in pop music. Some highlights of the album are the very catchy and melodic “For Reasons Unknown” and the creepily enjoyable “Bones”.

Twenty-two points, plus triple-word-score, plus fifty points for using all my letters. Game’s over. I’m outta here.The album also offers some interesting titles such as “Blind (Confession of a King)” and “Why Do I Keep Counting?” A rather odd “Enterlude” welcomes you to “Sam’s Town” and while the equally strange but much softer “Exitlude” wishes you goodbye.

Although, it is unclear what “Sam’s Town” is, the warm wishes manage to breakup the mildly repetitive guilty pleasures on this 13-tack disc. All in all, “Sam’s Town” is a pretty good power pop/New Wave album. Fans of the band’s first batch of hits are sure to enjoy this new collection of deliciously danceable rock tunes.