Red Storm volleyball move up to No. 18

St. John’s volleyball has been ranked No. 18 in this weeks CSTV/AVCA national rankings as it continues to rise in the national polls.

This is largely due to a 10 game winning streak, which was extended this weekend against Pittsburgh and West Virginia at home. The Johnnies defeated Pittsburgh on Saturday 3-1 and went on to sweep the Mountaineers on Sunday by a score of 3-0

The team has spent five weeks ranked nationally and is currently ranked higher than at any point in the program’s history.

In addition to the team merits, setter Wioleta Leszczynska was named this week’s Big East Player of the Week. Leszczynska is currently leading the Big East in assists with 955 and a 13.84 assists per game average.

In other Red Storm sporting news, Kelly McConnell of the women’s soccer team was named to the Big East Women’s Soccer Weekly Honor Roll after tallying three points this weekend for St. John’s.

McConnell is currently ranked second on the team with three goals and third with seven points.

Despite McConnell’s strong weekend, St. John’s was handed its first loss on Friday by West Virginia by a score of 2-0
She and the rest of the Red Storm will be back on the pitch this Friday at home against DePaul.