Online Exclusive: Women’s basketball falls to Maine

Looking to bounce back from a close defeat to Hartford, the St. John’s women’s basketball team defeated the Maine Black Bears 80-50 on Friday.

Coach Kim Barnes Arico said that the team had learned a lot from their last match up. This will be the sixth game the Red Storm have scored 70-plus points and won. Unselfish play and easy baskets sealed the deal for the Red Storm as they move to a 7-2 record for the season.

“I like to stress making the extra pass and having more than three options to score on the court is helpful,” Barne Arico said.

Every player that received more than 3 minutes scored a basket on a night where the Red Storm started the game on a 15-0 run. The St. John’s bench contributed with 32 points.

Successfully passing the ball through a slacking defense the Red Storm was able to score easily and often.

Leading the way was Monique Mclean as she posted near her average of 16 points. Last week’s Big East Honor Roll winner, Mclean also contributed seven rebounds for the Red Storm. Recee Mitchell, who only received 13 minutes of playing time, scored a season high12 points.

As Mitchell and Mclean provided for two consistent scoring options, underclassmen Sky Lindsay and Joy Mccorvey both attributed nine points.

The Black Bears had trouble all night keeping the ball in their possession. They turned the ball over 26 times and seemed to be defenseless against the Red Storm’s constant pressure. Black Bears new head coach Cindy Blodgett has had a tough season as she has been introduced with a 1-8 start. Highlights for Maine included forward Britney Bosser’s double-double, 15 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman Magdala Johnson also scored 10 points for the Black Bears.

Up next for the Red Storm is the Blazer Invitational, which is hosted in Birmingham, Ala. The ladies are undefeated in neutral locations this season. Their first opponent will be the Louisiana Monroe War Hawks.

The Red Storm are four games away from the beginning of their conference play which will start in early January.