A “Good” walk for the homeless: SJU raises money

Members of the St. John’s community spent their Good Friday participating in the University’s annual Walk for the Homeless.
More than 340 people took part in this year’s event, the largest total ever in the walk’s history, according to Angela Seegel, campus minister.

“People who attend have always come back, which is why there is an increase every year,” she said. “Whatever people do during their yearly Easter experience, they make sure to incorporate the walk into it.”

The annual 5K walk, sponsored by Campus Ministry and the St. Vincent de Paul Society, has occurred on the morning of every Good Friday for over the last 25 years, said Seegel.

She added that the event was started by one of the Vincentians in Campus Ministry to address hunger and homeless in the area.
Besides raising awareness of homelessness in the city, money was also raised to fight help fight hunger in the area.

Last year’s walk helped raise $25,000, she said. This year’s goal is $30,000 and $9,000 has already been contributed.

Seegel said that the money donated is spread out among various local non-profit organizations such as Bread & Life and the NY Coalition against Hunger.

The walk itself began outside Gate 1 and those participating walked north on Utopia Parkway towards Union Turnpike. The group then headed east on Union Tpke. to Bell Boulevard, where they made a stop at American Martyrs Church for a prayer service. After the service, the group continued north on Bell Blvd. to 73rd Avenue. Once on 73rd Ave., they turned left and headed south back on Utopia Pkwy and return to St. John’s through Gate 4.

Upon returning to the campus, the group went to Marillac Terrace for a simple meal of soup and bread and the end of the walk.
Seegel also adds that this year’s event also saw a rise in student participation, which she said is a good thing.

“I’m always honored to participate with the students and I felt their increased involvement was an added plus,” she said.
Donations will continue to be accepted until May 4. Contributions can be given to the campus ministry office.