Bradley steers Storm to fifth place, women finish fourth at BE tourney

St. John’s senior Keegan Bradley played like Tiger Woods and was clutch like Eli Manning at the Big East Championships this past week in Hebron, Ky.

The All-American candidate capped off a remarkable season by finishing second overall in the tournament with an even-par, 216. Bradley, who’s recorded three wins and two second place finishes in the last five events of the season, lifted the team to a fifth-place finish at the tournament (29-over, 823).

Head coach Frank Darby praised his co-captain. “Keegan [Bradley] played great for us as he has all year,” he told Redstormsports.com. “We had a good finish to the year and now hope for the best for our team and players.”

Besides Bradley, sophomore Evan Beirne had a stand-out tournament for the Red Storm. Beirne finished 13th overall in the tournament with a five-over, 221.

The pair paced the Red Storm throughout the whole tournament to lock up their third consecutive top-five finish. The team finished with round scores of 300, 300 and 293.

“I was really happy to play well,” Bradley told Redstormsports.com “I have had a great four years here. It is sad to have played my last tournament for St. John’s.”

The St. John’s women’s golf team also had an impressive showing at the Big East Championship in Ohio.

It was an overall team effort throughout that led the Red Storm to finish strong and clinch a fourth-place spot. The team finished with round scores of 315, 302 and 316.

Senior Brittany Lambertson and sophomore Renee Cloutier highlighted the Red Storm’s play by both finishing in the top 10. Lambertson, who tied for sixth place finished with an overall score of 228, while Cloutier finished tied for tenth with an overall score of 231, respectively.

Cloutier had a very notable performance at the tournament. She lowered her score each day throughout the tournament to eventually finish the final round with a team low score of 73.

Sophomores Ashley Szewczuk and Lois Kim were strong throughout the tournament and each finished with overall scores of 237 and tied for 22nd.

Both teams are waiting to see if any participants have been selected to the NCAA East Regional Tournament. If selected, male participants will travel to Chattanooga, Tenn. while female participants will travel to Athens, Ga. The NCAA men’s finals will be held in West Lafayette, Ind. from May 28 to May 31 while the NCAA woman’s finals will be held in Albuquerque, N.M. from May 20 to May 23.