Campus activities unveils upcoming events

Campus Activities is hosting a slew of events for students this semester.

One of the biggest events is the annual Homecoming Week celebration, which begins with the Residents Hall Association’s Window Painting at Montgoris on Monday, Oct. 5 and ends with Casino Night in Marillac Terrace on Saturday, Oct. 11.

Other events planned during Homecoming Week are Student Appreciation Day on Wednesday Oct. 8, a Homecoming Talent Show on Thursday Oct. 9, a Redzone BBQ on Friday Oct. 10 and the presentation of “Urinetown” on Saturday Oct. 11.

Campus Activities is also working on having more events on the weekends for students.

“[We] are working with other departments to further develop weekend activities,” said Ebony Calvin, Coordinator of Campus Activities’ Student Life. “These include mini golf in Taffner, possibly laser tag. It’s a way for students on the weekend to participate in Campus Activities.”

A new event called “Dinner and a Movie,” which began on Sept. 2, provides two movie passes, two metro cards, and a $50 dinner certificate all for $40. The dinner certificate can be redeemed at a handful of restaurants in Manhattan. More details can be found at www.arkrestaurants.com. This offer will run throughout the semester.

“I love the idea of a dinner and a movie package,” senior Laura Dondero said. “It’s perfect for a nice night out without having to spend a lot of money.”

Junior Matthew Ponte agreed.

“It’s something I would buy to surprise my girlfriend with,” he said.

On the other hand, senior Kevin Lubrano is disappointed in this semester’s events.

“I expected to see more concerts or music-related events this semester,” he said. “Hopefully they are planning some for the spring.”

Another event, the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tip-Off, will be held Sept. 25 in Taffner Fieldhouse. The doors open at 5:30 p.m. and admission is free with a Storm Card. The event will feature guest emcee “Stump the Schwab” from ESPN, free food, a DJ, a dunk contest, the chance to win $30,000 in prizes, and a post-autograph session with the basketball players.

For those who like Cirque du Soleil, “Fuerzabruta” is coming to the Daryl Roth Theatre in downtown Manhattan, on Sept. 28. This unique show features acrobats from Brazil. The price is $20 for undergraduates and tickets are on sale now at the Campus Concierge, located in the lobby of St. Augustine Hall.

There will also be a screening of the presidential debate on Oct. 15. The debate will be shown at Taffner Fieldhouse at 8 p.m. on a 30-foot screen.