Graphic designer shares insights from latest book

Brazilian author and graphic designer Felipe Taborda gave students insight into Latin American culture during his lecture on Thursday, Feb. 26 in Sun Yat Sen Hall.

Tabroda, who recently published a book called Latin American Graphic Design, said that he felt it was important to provide “a new way of looking at Latin America,” focusing more on Latin Amercain achievements rather than stereotypes.

His book outlines the work of more than 200 Latin American graphic designers. Taborda discussed his subjects’ careers and shared some of their work. He also discussed the influence of some Latin American artists including Guillermo Gonzalez Ruiz, Ricardo Blanco, and Aloisio Magalhaes. Taborda deemed Magalhaes the father of design and credited him with his own interest in graphic design.

Also in his book is a history of design in Latin America from how it developed to how its style of design is so unique. It provides a timeline of historical events in design.

Taborda, studied at the London International Film School, the New York Institute of Technology and the School of Visual Arts. He is a professor at UniverCidade in Rio de Janeiro and has run his own design firm since 1990.

If one theme was prevalent throughout Taborda’s lecture, it was that great graphic designers can come from anywhere and under any circumstance.

“You must be very curious,” he told aspiring graphic designers.
During his presentation, Taborda made clear his appreciation for all life has to offer.

“There are so many books to read, foods to eat, places to go,” he said. “That’s the great thing about life.”

It was Taborda’s enthusiasm and high energy level that kept spectators captivated.

“I found him interesting and eye opening. He leaves you wanting more,” said Jennifer Doggett, a junior.

Wanting more was a common thought held by fans who stuck around to get a chance to speak with Taborda and get a photo and autograph.

“I loved it. I was really excited to come,” said Tracy Hua, a sophomore. “He was so modest for a famous designer.”

Another student, sophomore Michael Montijo, felt connected to Taborda because of their shared culture.

“I’m Latin American and I found it inspiring delving in to my culture and to see how my culture affects my work,” he said.
Sandy Almeyda, a graduate student at St. John’s, described his admiration for Taborda’s support of other artists.

“He shed light on people who haven’t gotten the exposure they should have in the past. This makes graphic design more well rounded than they have in the past,” he said.