Lacrosse drops one to Lehigh on last-second goals

Everyone at DaSilva Memorial Field was ready to celebrate a Red Storm victory Saturday, but Lehigh’s Ricky Cornetta spoiled the celebration and sent the game into overtime with one second left.

Overtime would belong to the Mountain Hawks, as a turnover by the Red Storm would end up in the winning sudden death goal by Lehigh’s Brian Bienemann to top the Red Storm, 10-9.

“I don’t think it was our best effort, but I think they [Lehigh] had a lot to do with it,” head coach Jason Miller said.

“They’re a great lacrosse team, they caused problems for us. In a close game, every possession counts.”

Miller’s squad got off to a very sluggish start, as Lehigh went up 4-0 in the first quarter.

Harry Kutner would be the first to strike for the Red Storm (5-2) as he found the net after rolling around the crease and firing in a lefty shot.

After another Lehigh goal, the Red Storm fired back with three unanswered goals to make the score 5-4, two of them coming from Kutner and one from senior Trevor Michaelsen off a feed from Drew Schanen.

The fourth quarter of the game, would prove to be the main event of the afternoon as St. John’s and Lehigh put on a back-and-forth style show.

Kutner was spectacular again as he opened up the fourth quarter with a diving goal, which he injured his head in the process.

Without Kutner, other members of the Red Storm would have to step up and they did as Drew Schanen found Bobby Fitton to score at the 10:29 mark.

Then rookie Carl Iacona would score to tie the score at 7-7.

Malcolm Miles netted the go-ahead goal at the 6:11 mark, only to be answered by Lehigh’s star Ricky Cornetta, brother to sophomore defender Carlin Cornetta.

With less than two minutes left in the game against Lehigh, Kutner went out and did his best Willis Reed impression.

After scoring his fifth goal of the game and getting injured in the process, Kutner came back to score a goal off a beautiful feed from Malcolm Miles with a 1:13 left to put the Red Storm ahead of the Mountain Hawks, 9-8.

Kutner led the Red Storm with five goals, while Schanen had a team high two assists.

Junior goalie Gavin Buckley finished the game with ten saves.

Kutner, who was recently named the ECAC Player of the Week said, “We dug ourselves in a hole, we played too much defense in the first half. We fought hard in the second half, but it was too little
too late.”

The Red Storm return to action against Rutgers at the Lacrosse Day of Champions this Saturday at noon in Manhasset.