Curated Collection: News Podcasts: A New Way To Stay Updated

PHOTO COURTESY/Youtube TimesTalks
Michael Barbaro hosts the New York Times’s podcast “The Daily” five days a week.

There’s a lot going on in the world today, so when you’re not reading the Torch, it’s good to keep track of the news in other ways.

Whether you’re a news buff or you’re just trying to keep up with what’s happening in the world, these news-oriented podcasts are a perfect way to start your morning or end your day.

All of these shows are available on Spotify and iTunes.

“The Daily”

New York Times journalist Michael Barbaro brings you the news of what’s happening today and what’s usually found in the pages of The New York Times in “The Daily.” With regular guest appearances from NYT writers and editors, Barbaro offers a recap of the most pressing news in under 30 minutes, five days a week at 6 a.m. The short episodes leave you wanting more, but still feeling well-informed. Sticking to his journalistic roots, Barbaro discusses the news and gives interviews in an ethical and strictly factual manner. It’s a perfect way to catch up on the news in a short amount of time.

“Call Your Girlfriend”

Beginning as a podcast between long-distance BFFs, Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow, “Call Your Girlfriend” brings you pop culture, fun discussion and, of course, the news in a chill way. These two gals sound like those really smart and educated friends who are trying to get you to vote. The fun and charisma from Friedman and Sow focus on women in politics, news and overall women empowerment.

“Pod Save America”

Aides to former President Barack Obama during his administration — Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer and Tommy Vietor — bring you a recap on the news twice a week, usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Although it is a little lengthy at just over an hour, the time will fly by as these hosts describe clearly what’s happening in the news with their own charismatic wit.

“Pantsuit Politics”

Hosted by Sarah Stewart Holland “from the left” and Beth Silvers “from the right,” these two women represent the more conservative and liberal side of politics as they discuss what’s happening in the news. With different guests, each episode features more reflective and discussion-based news. Lasting from 30 minutes to an hour, it’s a quick reflection on the different perspectives and opinions regarding today’s news.

“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: Ears Edition”

The ears edition of the “Daily Show” is like the regular Comedy Central show, but with no visuals. It’s a great alternative to the show if you don’t have cable or just want to listen to the news humorously read by Trevor Noah. At only 25 minutes each show, you’ll get the humorous side of the news while staying informed.  

Whether you’re trying to get into podcasts or are trying to get your news in a better way, these podcasts are a perfect way to stay informed and get your mind rolling.