What “Bandersnatch” Means for the Future of Film

PHOTO COURTESY/Youtube Netflix
“Bandersnatch” (pictured above) is the latest in technological film advances.

Throughout the 21st century, monumental strides have been taken in the film industry in order to innovate and create the next big phenomenon. Reworking classics, creating interactive films or different streaming opportunities have led us to question the future of film and exactly what it will bring.

Interactive movies have become a new wave in the film industry. The latest movie of this kind, Netflix’s “Bandersnatch,” brought forward a new type of entertainment. Now audiences are able to be a part of the film and help change the course of the movie. Viewers feel in control, which is what a majority of viewers crave in a society fueled by social media and “likes.”      

“People who go to movies in theaters more frequently also consume more streaming content,” Bret Lang, a journalist, wrote for Variety. More films are being consumed across different platforms, attributing to the industry’s evolution. The various platforms allow for films like “Bandersnatch” to be a viable option.

With new technologies being developed in the film community, traditional films need to once again become great — regarding their concepts and themes.

The film business is constantly changing and evolving. With that being said, within the past five or so years, the movie business has been quite interested in remakes, sequels and crossover events. Movies like “The Meg,” “The First Purge,” “Incredibles 2,” and “Halloween” that released in 2018 have all had aspects of a predictable theme that has been done one too many times before. While the actual films were acceptable, the concepts overall lack originality.

In a society where everything is political, Hollywood has tried to keep everyone happy by not addressing scenarios people are dealing with everyday. The controversial films are the ones that keep people talking — the ones that spark creativity and originality — and there has been a lack. There are the films that have met the criteria, such as “Boy Erased,” “If Beale Street Could Talk” and “Bird Box,” but there have not been enough. If movie concepts could continue to incorporate societal issues, the film business would regain its sense of creativity that has been dulled over the years.        

The dynamic aspect of the business will allow directors and writers to work together to make films that are the next big thing. “Bandersnatch” is an innovative step toward interactive films — one that will re-inspire the film community into once again being great.

No one knows for sure what the future of film will be, but audiences can only hope to have various issues addressed and innovative techniques continued to be created and executed to ensure creativity.