“Captain Marvel”

Photo Credit/ Youtube Marvel Entertainment
Brie Larson plays Carol Danvers in Marvel’s first female-led film.

I tend to be very critical when it comes to films, but “Captain Marvel” is one of the few films that I’ve seen where I am left with zero complaints, I’d go so far as to call it perfect.

“Captain Marvel,” directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, follows the origin story of Carol Danvers, a Kree warrior, as she attempts to piece together her blurry past while fending off evil Skrulls — the villains — who want the same information she is after.

This film surpasses expectations for Marvel fans in this solo expedition, while also connecting simultaneously to the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though the movie is set in the 1990s, the release was timed perfectly to give fans the last bits of information needed going into “Avengers: Endgame.”

“Captain Marvel” was filled with countless badass superhero moments and incredible fight scenes. Captain Marvel is an incredible superhero — powerful enough to rival any of the Avengers —  and possibly even Thanos. Her powers are beyond amazing and the strength in her character is even more so. At one point, Danvers single-handedly takes down over a dozen Skrulls while she’s handcuffed and can’t use her powers.

The fact that this film comes in the midst of an age of modern feminism is no coincidence. “Captain Marvel” is the first female-led Marvel movie, and it was well worth the wait. This film is an impeccable representation of how women ought to be represented in media.

Throughout the film, Danvers’ incredible power never has to be justified. Any comments doubting her abilities are immediately disproven. At one point in a face off against one character, the person she is fighting challenges her to prove herself and her power against them. Before they even finish four sentences, she blasts them and shuts them up, walks up to them and says, “I have nothing to prove to you.” Danvers is powerful, brave, smart and all-business, but she is also empathetic and kind. She allows the Skrulls to speak and tell their side of the story.

This kind of representation of  women in film — especially in a superhero movie — is incredibly empowering and is the kind of depiction we ought to be seeing more of. “Captain Marvel” could be one of the best and most important films for feminism and Marvel, possibly, ever.