Netflix’s “Queer Eye”

Photo Courtesy/ Youtube Netflix
Tan France, Bobby Berk, Antoni Porowski, Karamo Brown and Jonathan Van Ness are the “Fab Five” on Netflix’s “Queer Eye” reboot.

When it was first announced that “Queer Eye” would premiere as a reboot on Netflix, many noticed the omission of “For the Straight Guy” from the original Bravo title, “Queer Eye For the Straight Guy.” This distinction implied that the show would no longer feature makeovers strictly restricted to heterosexual men, and season three of  “Queer Eye” has certainly delivered on this promise.

The original show focused on a group of impeccably dressed and multi-talented gay men, “The Fab Five,” instructing heterosexual men into the areas of fashion, interior design, cooking, culture and grooming. The new series has been more inclusive, with season three being the most inclusive season of all.

Not only were “straight guys” transformed, but the Fab Five also worked their magic on women, as well as people of different sexualities and social circumstances. This was instrumental in facilitating discussions about traditional notions of masculinity and femininity, in addition to LGBTQ+ culture that is different from the Fab Five’s own experiences. Season three  was also filmed in Kansas City, Missouri, which allowed for a different social climate and different variety of locations as opposed to those used in previous episodes. One episode took place at a summer camp, while another took place at a BBQ joint, providing for an eclectic mixture of scenery, characters and projects.

While this season included its fair share of identity politics, it generally steered clear of the more controversial, politically-charged discussions characteristic of previous seasons. The first episode feebly attempted to challenge gun culture, to no productive avail.

Nonetheless, the season’s diversity allowed viewers to hear a number of voices and journeys, some of which are less visible in the mainstream media. It also encouraged deeper conversations about acceptance, friendship, self-care and being true to one’s self.

Overall, it was a well-curated and diverse collection of stories, all of which ended in life-changing transformations inside and out.