Seven Women-Owned Beauty Brands to Recognize This Month

Women’s History Month is coming to a close, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some last-minute steps you can take to give female-owned businesses some extra love and support.

This month, we are showcasing some of the best female-owned cosmetic brands that students need to get their hands on. Here are some you may not have heard of that are owned by a diverse group of women who have all brought their own unique touches to the world of beauty.

The   Lip Bar:

In 2012 Melissa Butler began making  lipsticks in her kitchen out of frustration with beauty standards in the cosmetic industry. She took her products to the Shark Tank stage in 2015, only to be ridiculed by judges who did not take her colorful lipsticks seriously. Three years later, Butler’s lipsticks have gone from her Detroit kitchen to the shelves of  Target stores nationwide. Her vibrant, non-toxic vegan lipsticks are designed to make every wearer feel confident in any shade, from nude pink to bright green.

Beauty   Bakerie:

“Better Not Bitter.” That is Beauty Bakerie’s motto. When Cashmere Nicole started Beauty Bakerie it began as exactly that — a way to better her life as a single mother on welfare, while studying to be a nurse. After being diagnosed with breast cancer, Nicole pushed on, deciding to use her brand to raise awareness for the disease. Beauty Bakerie products include “Blending Egg Beauty Sponges” that come in a mini egg carton and their best-selling setting powder that is packaged in a mini “flour” bag. Not only are these makeup items long-lasting and great quality but they are also absolutely adorable.  

Ayele & Co.:

Ayele & Co., formerly known as Bahi Cosmetics, was created by 21-year-old Ivory Coast native Danielle Bahi. In an interview with Forbes Magazine, Bahi said that if your skincare product has ingredients you can’t pronounce then you shouldn’t be putting it on your face. This is why Bahi used ingredients she found at local farmers markets when she first started out making skincare products.The best-selling Sunflower Sweets Serum comes with flower petals floating in the bottle and is meant to clear pores, reduce breakouts and even skin tones with its natural ingredients.

The Crayon Case:

New Orleans native Raynell Steward created The Crayon Case in 2017. Not only does she own this brand of fun makeup products that include the Box of Crayons eyeshadow palette, but Steward is also the owner of an entertainment company called Watch My Smoke Entertainment — a podcast host and a social media personality. She has been featured on vibe, BET, Essence and Fader for her viral videos. She created The Crayon Case for amaeteur makeup artists who will be inspired by the exciting range of colors and playful makeup products.

Drunk Elephant:

Non-toxic skincare line Drunk Elephant was created by Tiffany Masterson, a mother of four from Texas. After a lifetime of disappointment with skincare products that never seemed to fulfill their promises, Masterson set out to create an effective and safe product that would  get rid of her “sensitive” skin once and for all. Drunk Elephant has risen to one of the most popular skincare lines in recent years and can be found selling out on Sephora shelves.

Nudestix:

Nudestix is all about embracing your natural beauty, which doesn’t always have to mean being makeup-free. Jenny Frankel and her two young daughters, Taylor and Ally, created “makeup stix” for your entire face as a quick way to enhance your natural features. Their animal cruelty free bronzers and highlights come with brushes attached and their lips colors and blush pencils with sharpeners, so that you can always give yourself a quick glow wherever you are.

Birchbox:

A subscription to female owned Birchbox is the monthly pick-me-up every college student needs. Katia Beauchamp and Hayley Barna created this monthly subscription box to make trying out new beauty products easier after years of frustration and confusion when it came to finding the perfect routine. Birchbox will send you five sample-size products curated for your specific needs and style for only $10 a month.They also offer grooming boxes for men. Try out a new mascara and a hair mask one month and a hydrating moisturizer and rosy blush the next!

Beauty entrepreneur Jackie Aina reviews Beauty Bakerie products.

Beauty blogger Jen Luv reviews The Crayon Case’s Box of Crayons Shadow Palette.