University hailed for its cancer research

The University was honored last summer by the American Cancer Society’s Epidemiology Research.

Of all participants in this study, St. John’s was awarded and recognized for having over 70 CPS-3 participants registered, leading to it being the largest CPS-3 participant registration site in Queens, according to a University press release.

The Cancer Prevention Study (CPS-3) is a long-term study promoted for enrollment for Queens residents by the American Cancer Society, St. John’s, NY Hospital in Queens and North Shore LIJ Hospital.

Marge Cashin, Community Relations Assistant, said that this was a “natural fit for our University” in regards to the numerous amounts of faculty and administrators who participated in registering for this study.

She emphasized the amount of effort that students and faculty give into fighting cancer throughout the year. She mentioned the Strides Walkathon in the fall, Relay for Life in the spring, as well as the High-Heel-A-thon, and other gatherings that all help to raise funds for cancer research.

This new research study will include over 300,000 adults across the country. The study at the University consisted of the administration staff and faculty ages 30-65 that have never had cancer.

The criteria to become a participant included the required age, participation in an enrollment event and completion of a questionnaire that will be followed up on every two years.

The data gathered from these questionnaires will be used to determine what is causing and preventing cancer, such as obesity or genetics.

The first two studies (CPS-1 and CPS-2) determined links to cancer such as smoking and diabetes. The American Cancer Society hopes for this study to be the third link.

“CPS-3 gave the alumni, administrators, staff and faculty an opportunity to back up the students’ efforts,” Cashin said. “I am very proud to be part of this project.”

Cathleen C. Garry, Regional Vice President, Eastern Division of the American Cancer Society Inc. described the St. John’s committment as “so vigorous.”

“This strong commitment is essential if we are to change the course of cancer in the future.”

The University’s connection with American Cancer Society started 15 years ago when the school first made Strides against Breast Cancer.

Over these 15 years, the University has raised $500,000 for the American Cancer Society, including funds raised at Relay for Life, according to Cashin.

Due to the collaboration with the American Cancer Society, the pharmacy department has received grants for research and study, as well as many other benefits, according to Cashin.

“The students really support the American Cancer Society,” Cashin said.
“Our main goal is the education of cancer awareness for our students.”