SGI Holds First Meeting of the Semester

SGI Holds First Meeting of the Semester
COURTESY OF/STUDENT GOVERNMENT INC.

SGI held their first meeting of the semester on Sept. 11 in DAC.  

The meeting began with guest speakers including Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Robert Mangione and Vice President of Student Affairs Kathryn Hutchinson, as well as CPS Dean Katia Passerini and Assistant Dean Kevin James.

PITCH JOHNNY

James introduced “The Pitch Johnny Competition,” a new initiative which will allow students to come up with their own ideas and present their entrepreneurial pitches to a panel of judges.

Registration opened on Sept. 1, with a deadline of Oct. 15. An information session will be held on Nov. 11 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the CPS Lab and Conference Room, located on the second floor of St. Augustine Hall.

NEW CONSTITUTION APPROVED

During the president’s report, President of SGI Frank Obermeyer welcomed SGI members and informed them of the new SGI constitution’s recent approval by Hutchinson. He noted that the only aspect of the new constitution that was not approved involved drafting resolutions.

ORGSYNC UPDATES

According to SGI Treasurer, Teresa Ehiogu, a new budget management system has been implemented into OrgSync so that student organizations can now access and handle their funds from their accounts. Ehiogu added that the process for internal SGI spending will remain the same.

SGI BUDGET

Ehiogu said that this year’s SGI budget is “about the same” as last year’s, and that the only spending thus far has been for a new software by the Public Relations Committee, and the new OrgSync budget management system.

SENATORS AND COMMITTEE REPORTS

Senior Senator Brian Wagner spoke about a forthcoming collaboration with Career Services on a program called “Adulting” in which students are taught important life skills, while Junior Senator Atem Tazi spoke about a housing rights workshop hosted by Assemblywoman Nily Rozic.

The workshop, which is set to take place on Oct. 5 from 5 to 7 p.m., will brief students on their rights as renters and what they should know when moving off campus. Henry Stitzel of the Budget Committee added that as of Sept. 11, one special allocation request of $342.41 has been granted to the Chinese Students and Scholars Association for a “welcome back” dinner.