Six reasons why you should stop going to starbucks

By now, Starbucks has become synonymous with New York City; its hard to pronounce flavors and overpriced beverages and snacks fit right in with the hustle and bustle of New Yorkers.

While there are many places to get a cup of coffee in this city, Starbucks seems to be the main choice for many.  However, the novelty of simply having the Starbucks logo on your cup of coffee has managed to hide the number of wrongdoings the company has done over the years.

Here are six reasons why you should stop going to Starbucks:

1) The whipped cream topping on many drinks is 80 calories alone.  Not to mention the actual drink is full of sugars and other unhealthy products.  Yes, there are some healthy options on the menu, but since when does anyone go to Starbucks for an apple?

2) Just last week, headquarters banned all Starbucks employees from wearing fancy jewelry, such as an engagement ring.  So while they are allowed to charge on average four times more for a cup of coffee than a neighborhood deli, they are not allowing their employees to wear meaningful, expensive items.  They also banned tattoos and painted fingernails – sounds like a fun place to work, right?

3) With all of the profits Starbucks receives in a given year, you would think some of that would go back into the community. Not a chance.  The only way to see the money invested locally is to shop at the small businesses throughout the city; that means buying your morning coffee at the corner store for 99 cents instead of $3.

4) During the days following the 9/11 attacks, many of the men and women who generously gave up their time to volunteer with the cleanup would shop around the neighborhood of Lower Manhattan. During one of the warmer September days, a volunteer went into Starbucks for a few cases of water for the crew. Instead of giving the water to the volunteer for free, Starbucks charged the worker $130 for just three cases. You would think that at a time like this, most citizens of New York would show a little generosity to one another, but not this company that’s worth $100 billion.

5) Despite the increased awareness of “going green,” Starbucks has not followed this trend. The company still continues to utilize single-use coffee cups, which all end up in a landfill somewhere. After people began to notice this, Starbucks introduced reusable mugs, with a cost of $1. Only Starbucks would be so condescending as to charge customers for an environmentally friendly mug to offset the costs of producing single-use cups for years.

6) Most coffee drinkers prefer McDonald’s coffee to Starbucks coffee. According to an article from MSNBC, respondents said that McDonald’s coffee was “decent and moderately strong,” and having no flaws, while Starbucks was labeled as “strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.” Ouch, Starbucks.