Graduating College: What next?

Registration opened for graduating seniors on March 9, and now the reality has set in: in less than 60 days you’ll be a college graduate. Congratulations.

Are you supposed to be excited…prepared…ready? One graduates from high school, great! Well, the next step is college. One graduates from college, great! Well… good luck finding a job!

Are graduating seniors pressured to continue their education? Are they pressured with the responsibility to find a job right out of college, one that requires a college degree for their major?

Now, if you have it all together…Good for you! Stay focused!

But, what about the upcoming college graduates who don’t know where to start? They’ve planned almost every aspect of their life up until walking across the stage.

Or what about the college graduates who wanted to go to graduate school, but couldn’t get their applications in on time, or the graduates who wanted to go to medical school, but had a late start in preparing for the MCAT? What do you do when your plan seems to fall apart, and everything is just happening so fast?

Ladies and gentlemen, I’m here to tell you that it’s okay. If you haven’t started applying for jobs, you’re not behind! Or if you’re not currently going in the direction you’ve always thought you would, it is o k a y!

Take a moment and breathe. Write down some short-term and long-term goals that you have for yourself and begin to plan accordingly. After you create your plan, create a back-up plan! Considering the future with careful planning will help assist you in successful job and grad school opportunities. Don’t look at your friends and think that you’re behind just because someone seems to have it all together.

According to monster.com, Kristen Fisher says, “Even thinking about what you want to do and where you want to live—and arranging for those things—is smart planning. Start browsing websites, setting up accounts on sites like LinkedIn and Monster.com.”

Take advantage of the many resources on campus! Visit University Career Services, located in the Chiang Ching Kuo building. St. John’s prepares students from across the U.S. and around the world to be confident, goal-driven and ethical leaders in today’s global society. The University Career Services Employer Relations Team embraces opportunities to collaborate with employers. Career Peers are also available to assist students with career advice.

Remove the pressure and let go of anxiety! Use the next 60 days or so before graduation to understand what YOU truly want to become in life. Who do YOU want to be? And know, that it’s okay if you have no idea. You don’t have to have it all figured out upon graduation.

Along with preparing for post-graduation, don’t forget to enjoy your last college days! Have fun, sleep-in, and take advantage of the activities on campus!

There are so many people rooting for you, whether you know it or not! Discover your passion, discover your purpose and walk around with your head held high. You have so much to be proud of already, and it’s only the beginning!

Good luck to the college seniors who anticipate on graduating May 17.

“Dreams are your paints, the world is your canvas. Believing, is the brush that converts your dreams into a masterpiece of reality.” –Unknown.