Is Joining a Fraternity or Sorority Worth It?

Rasheeda Campbell, Staff Writer

Fraternities and sororities are, to some students, a big part of the college experience. Joining one of the two is probably the best way to grow long lasting friendships in college. Or is it?

Since I am a junior now, I have been seriously thinking about possibly joining a sorority. My mom being an A.K.A herself is really the reason I am considering rushing. My mother told me that at first, her experience with the sorority wasn’t the best. She said some of her sisters would single her out and put her through more hazing than the other pledges but once my mom spoke up to them about it, the hazing stopped and they finally accepted her.

Aside from the few who tried to make her eat eggshells, she did make some good friends, some of whom she is still friends with today. The whole thing about making lasting friendships and sororities being good for marketing is great, but are those things really worth it?

Aside from the hazing, these organizations are also pretty pricy. Joining a fraternity or a sorority requires paying a certain amount of dues. These dues can easily be out of a college student’s budget.

Being a part of one of these organizations can be life changing. You can join a fraternity or a sorority, make friends, have fun and feel as though the money and time you put out for it was worth it.  However, it could be life changing in a negative way. There’s the possibility of being so focused on trying to impress and fit in with the organization’s members, that you forget who you really are as a person or make you feel insecure about yourself.

I’m also worried about the amount of time being in a sorority would take from me. I’ve heard that rush week is very time consuming. You have to spend time learning about the sorority you want to join and you have to attend their functions.I wouldn’t want my school work to be affected by this.

However, when I think about it, I do have a few friends who are in sororities that have straight A’s every semester. I guess it depends on the person.

Therefore, I think joining a sorority or fraternity is not worth it. It’s just an expensive and stressful waste of time. Clubs are a better alternative for connecting with people and making long lasting friendships, without the stress and monetary obligation.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Is Joining a Fraternity or Sorority Worth It?”

1. Ethal Robinson on September 20th, 2018 10:44 pm

AKAs and including any black,Latino, Asian Greek organization haze much worse than IFC organizations. They physically and mentally abuse their pledges to the point that it is definitely ILLEGAL and in humane. Underground pledging goes around frequently on campus and more action by the school needs to be taken to prevent this. I’m surprised that these organizations aren’t suspended for the level of misrepresentation they exhibit and the willingness to tamper with evidence!

2. Scott Jackson on January 14th, 2019 12:37 pm

I pledged 30 years ago and it’s the best decision I ever made. I made life lasting friends and have also gotten Multiple Jobs from networking with my fraternity Brothers. It’s DEFINITELY WORTH TO PLEDGE A FRAT OR SORORITY. Omega Psi Phi Til The Day I DIE!!!

3. Henry G Ferro on January 19th, 2019 9:48 pm

The Greek system offers its members abuse, both mental and physical, which is then covered up by the Greek system and universities at the altar of money and power. I would highly discourage anyone investing their time and money and also risk their emotional and physical well-being.

4. Chritopher on April 11th, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi

Anyone who joins a sorority or a fraternity is taking a major risk. I would say joining one is a sign of weakness and a major sign of dependancy.

It suggests you are unable to stand on your feet or form your own opinions. I never joined one and still had a great time in college without compromising to anyone or compromising the outcome of my studies. I never felt the need to seek other people’s approval of my actions or thoughts.

Keep your independence and do not submit yourself to humiliation or manipulation at the hands of sororities or fraternities. The vast majority of members and pledges are imbeciles. You will be a better person for it should you avoid it and your experience of college will be enhanced as a result in every respect. sororities and fraternities are for the weak minded.