Bette Midler’s Insensitive Remark

“‘Women are the n-word of the world.’ Raped, beaten, enslaved, married off, worked like dumb animals; denied education and inheritance; enduring the pain and danger of childbirth and life IN SILENCE for THOUSANDS of years They are the most disrespected creatures on earth,” Bette Midler tweeted as she expressed her feelings of anger towards the entire Kavanaugh ordeal. Midler’s tweet was explosive and, in my opinion, not too well thought out.       

First of all, people tend to believe women over the information that is provided, especially with the rise of the #MeToo movement. In the case with Judge Kavanaugh there was not substantial evidence that proved Kavanaugh was guilty of the crimes that he was accused of.

It is true that everyone should be looked into if they have been accused, which is exactly what happened when Dr. Christine Ford accused Kavanaugh. However, the facts leaned more toward Kavanaugh than they did to Ford. Midler’s tweet seemed like an angry rant without using much common sense.         

Midler’s tweet was also extremely offensive towards women of color and formed no line between white and black women. One cannot deny the neglect and the horrible experiences of black people, specifically black women. Midler made it seem as if her experiences were equivalent to those of women of color.       

Midler blurred the line between women of color and everyone else by making their suffering seem less than what it actually was.      

Ohio State Senator Nina Turner replied to Midler’s tweet by saying, “I see you have decided to double-down on this insensitive, ridiculous madness. Your arrogance and deliberate disregard for the experiences of Black women and by extension. The Black community as a whole is breathtaking. Your privilege is showing!”                                                                                      

I think that all the responses from various artists, celebrities and officials are justified. They are all fighting to let others know that the experiences of women of color are realities that other individuals will not understand, even if they tried. Every person goes through their own pain and suffering, however, Midler’s generalization made a specific groups’ suffering not as important.       

After much backlash from the public, Midler finally apologized and followed up with another tweet that said, “The too brief investigation of allegations against Kavanaugh infuriated me. Angrily I tweeted w/o thinking my choice of words would be enraging to black women who doubly suffer, both by being women and by being black. I am an ally and stand with you; always have. And I apologize.”