Taking Risks During Your College Career Can Pay Off

I was always told that my college career would pass by in the blink of an eye, but I always thought that my time in college would be endless. However, now being just over a month away from becoming a college graduate, I realize that the last few years of my life have gone by faster than I can fathom. With graduation just around the corner, I have been experiencing so many emotions and have been spending a lot of time reflecting.

Throughout my college career I have attended three colleges, had four different majors and have challenged myself to find what I am really passionate about in life. What I have learned is that there is no right or wrong way to be a student. Each step has taught me more and more about myself, and I am so proud of how my college career has shaped me into who I am today.

Being a transfer student and commuter at St. John’s University during my sophomore year put me in an awkward position — everyone already had their friend groups, and I felt like an outsider. The one thing that really changed my college experience was joining organizations. Only a few weeks after transferring to SJU, I decided to go through formal recruitment and join a sorority.

Joining my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, was the best thing that I did during my college career. This organization has taught me more about myself than anything else I have done in the last four years. My sisters have been the ones to push me to accomplish more than I ever thought I would be able to in two years. They encouraged me to join The Torch and supported me every step of the way. Because of Gamma Phi Beta, I will have a piece of college with me forever. When I reflect on what truly made the last four years memorable, Gamma Phi Beta will be at the forefront of those memories.

If I had to give one piece of advice to a current freshman, it would be to take risks because they will shape you into the person you didn’t even know you wanted to be.