Men’s Soccer Can’t Get By Brown

The St. John’s men’s soccer team, now ranked #9/8 in the nation, was unable to prolong their streak of overtime victories in a 0-0 draw against Brown at Belson Stadium Tuesday night.

After getting late golden goals to beat Princeton and Notre Dame, the Red Storm (7-2-2) were unable to break through Brown’s (5-4-1) defense in the double overtime match.

St. John’s began the game sporting their usual starting line-up except for one change. Redshirt sophomore Alex Naples replaced redshirt sophonmore Rafael Diaz, the Johnnies’ usual starting goalkeeper.

Freshman defender Tim Parker disclosed that Diaz, “was a little sore” from the team’s previous game against Notre Dame. Naples and senior defender Connor Lade added that he had a bruised tailbone.

The first half saw two even matched teams and very few goal-scoring opportunities. The Johnnies only offensive spark from the first 45 minutes came when senior forward Walter Hines used his pace to get in behind the Brown back four but failed to create anything in front of goal. Both teams entered halftime with a similar share of possession and the same number of shots with four, although none were on goal.

The second half saw much of what was on display in the first. Although St. John’s improved their shot attempts to seven, they were unable to threaten Brown’s goal with any legitimate goal scoring opportunities.

“Brown is a well organized team who were able to defend us,” said freshman defender Tim Parker.

As St. John’s controlled a bit more of the ball in the second half they were caught in a couple of counter-attack situations. However, their organized defensive shape allowed them to brush off any of Brown’s assaults on goal.

“We have a good defensive shape. We’re well-organized and Connor and (senior defender) Ido Ligety do a good job of keeping us organized,” said Parker.

Entering the first overtime St. John’s made a bold change by switching Parker from his position of right-back to placing him up top as a striker. The move helped to add a more physical presence that had the ability to disrupt Brown’s back line.

“We wanted to try something new,” said Parker.

Parker created a couple of opportunities in both overtimes, including a flicked header towards goal and a dangerous run inside the 18-yard box where he was inches from latching onto the ball.

They ended both overtime periods with three shots, two being on target. However, even with the change, the Johnnies were unable to create a golden goal before the second overtime finished.

The Red Storm return to action on Saturday October, 8 as they travel to Florida to face Big East rival, USF.