Still Unbeaten

The then No.10 St. John’s men’s soccer team drew Butler 1-1 on the final day of The University of Akron Tournament after a goal from Daniel Herrera midway through the second half.

Although the Red Storm (5-0-3) were in the Bulldogs’ (1-1-4) half of the field for a majority of the first fifteen minutes of the game, they were not able to record any shots on goal. Their closest opportunity came in the 13th minute when freshman midfielder Sean Sepe sent a shot inches wide.

Butler’s offense improved as they began to attack the Johnnies’ net, forcing junior goalkeeper Rafael Diaz to make four first half saves.

However, Diaz could not maintain his lauded form from Friday night’s game versus Akron as he failed to control a shot from Butler’s Adam Glanzer in the 28th minute, allowing the striker time to re-compose himself and fire home.

Poor passing prevented the Red Storm from making any impression on Butler’s goalkeeper. They ended the first half with no shots on goal, compared to the Bulldog’s five.

The Johnnies’ offense started to click once the second half began, putting a great deal pressure on Butler’s defense and goalie Joe Dawson.

“I told them we were going to turn up our energy,” St. John’s head coach Dr. Dave Masur elaborated as he spoke to the team at halftime. “We were going to play with more focus and step up our pressure [against Butler’s keeper].”

Midfielder Daniel Herrera finally got St. John’s on the board in 75th minute as he sent a laser into lower right corner of the Butler net.

Both teams exchanged shots throughout the rest of the half, but they came up empty and would have to decide the game in overtime.

The Johnnies, led by Andres Vargas, continued their aggressive form in the first overtime as the forward recorded two shots in the first overtime, although neither of them found the back of the net.

Vargas again led the Red Storm into the second overtime, taking three shots, none of which broke the deadlock.

Butler’s best chance came in the 104th minute when Jeff Adkins’s shot was narrowly blocked by a diving Diaz, who later bounced right back up to block another.

St. John’s leaves Ohio after recording two consecutive ties heading into Saturday’s Big East opener against Connecticut.